Welcome to grow. The website for horticulture careers information.
HORTICULTURE CAREERS NEWS
Me & My Job - James Avery, business development manager, PG Horticulture
Grow, 03 August 2012
- How did you get started in the industry? I started in the produce industry trading with the major multiples, which developed into project management delivering large and diverse projects in the convenience food sector. Redundancy provided the opportunity for a change of direction and I immediately enjoyed the challenge, variation and honesty of the growing community.
- What does your typical day involve? Every day is different but always involves working with customers ensuring that we deliver on promises. I have to be mindful of the day-to-day operational issues while planning for the medium to longer term.
- What takes up most of your time? Either talking to customers or planning to talk to customers. Good communication is important, so visiting customers and suppliers is vital for long-term relationship building.
- What is the best aspect of your job? Delivering against a promise, especially when a customer acknowledges that their trust in my judgement and honesty has added value to their business in some small way.
- And the worst? As a supplier, we have no control over those that supply us, which can be challenging. Some suppliers will often have different priorities that we must constantly influence.
- What piece of kit can you not do without? A laptop. Information in the right place at the right time is a powerful tool.
- How do you wind down after a hard day at work? A bottle of wine and good company are always very welcome, and walking the dog is therapeutic.
- What does the future hold? Service delivery should be high on most people's agenda as the growing community becomes more demanding of its key suppliers. I believe that there will also be more opportunities in the future for collaboration.
Tell us what you think
Grow careers advice line
For information on courses and careers please call 03330 050 181 (9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday) or email your query by clicking here: